Sony Electronics Inc. unveiled the Spatial Reality Display (SR Display) today, which utilizes the award-winning Eye-Sensing Light Field Display (ELFD) technology. It can showcase 3D creations without requiring virtual reality glasses or a headset. This enables creators from various industries, like automotive, industrial design, to Computer Graphics (CG) and Visual Effects (VFX) designers, to bring ideas to life in stunning three-dimensions. Read more for a video and additional information.
This display is based an innovative high-speed vision sensor capable of following exact eye position in space, on vertical, horizontal and depth axes simultaneously. It then monitors eye movement down to the millisecond, while rendering the image instantaneously, based on the location and position of the viewer’s eyes. When these technologies are combined, creators are able to interact with their designs in a highly-realistic virtual, 3D environment, from any angle without glasses. One caveat: it costs $5,000 USD.
- Next-level Hardware - Make every move count with a blazing-fast processor and our highest-resolution display
- All-In-One Gaming - With backward compatibility, you can explore new titles and old favorites in the expansive Quest content library
- Immersive Entertainment - Get the best seat in the house to live concerts, groundbreaking films, exclusive events and more
- Quest 2 requires your Facebook account to log in, making it easy to meet up with friends in VR and discover communities around the world
- Easy Setup - Just open the box, set up with the smartphone app and jump into VR. No PC or console needed. Requires wireless internet access and the Oculus app (free download) to set up device
We’re excited to bring the world’s best technology to bear, moving the design and creation industry forward, particularly as the shift to digital has become so pronounced. This technology drives new versatility, allowing us to advance an entirely new medium and experience for designers and creators everywhere,” said Mike Fasulo, president and chief operating officer of Sony Electronics North America.