A team of astronomers have discovered two super-Earths – named Gliese 887b and Gliese 887c – near the red dwarf star Gliese 887, which is 11 light-years away from Earth. These were spotted using Chile’s European Southern Observatory’s High Accuracy Radial velocity Planet Searcher (HARPS) spectrograph and after analyzing nearly 20 years of archival data on Gliese 887. Read more for a video and additional information.
The doppler wobble technique was used and found the planets to have orbits of just 9.3 and 21.8 days. Gliese 887b and Gliese 887c are both located near their star’s habitable zone, or in other words, an area where liquid water may potentially exist. Just one caveat: Gliese 887c may have a surface temperature of 158 degrees Fahrenheit. On the bright side, Gliese 887 is quite calm for a red dwarf star.
- Quality Optics: 400mm(f/5.7) focal length and 70mm aperture, fully coated optics glass lens with high transmission coatings creates stunning images and protect your eyes. Perfect telescope for astronomers to explore stars and moon.
- Magnification: Come with two replaceable eyepieces and one 3x Barlow lens.3x Barlow lens trebles the magnifying power of each eyepiece. 5x24 finder scope with mounting bracket and cross-hair lines inside make locating objects easily.
- Wireless Remote: Free includes one smart phone adapter and one Wireless camera remote to explore the nature of the world easily through the screen and take amazing celestial images.
- Adjustable Tripod: This telescope allows for many different viewing positions with a adjustable aluminum alloy tripod and a carry bag, the telescope and tripod can fit inside the bag for easy traveling and storage.
- Satisfaction: TWO-YEAR warranty. And technical support from our team of experts in 24 hours.
These planets will provide the best possibilities for more detailed studies, including the search for life outside our solar system,” said University of Gottingen Astronomer Sandra Saffers.