One big issue that current electric vertical take off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft are dealing with is range, since the system itself uses up so much power. A startup founded by former SpaceX Falcon 9 engineers aim to solve this with a detachable vertical lift platform. Put simply, Talyn’s VTOL system is attached to the Cruise vehicle for takeoff using its own battery reserve. When it gets up to speed, the Cruise vehicle’s wing and pusher prop takes over, thus allowing the two aircraft to separate safely. Read more for a video, additional pictures and informatino.
The reason this system would be more cost efficient is due to not wasting energy dragging the VTOL rotors through the air. This means as soon as you have a route that you’re flying regularly, it’s actually cheaper to operate. When the production model is ready, it should be capable of a 349-mile range and carry 1,000lb at 205mph.
- 【PACK LIGHT, FLY FREE】: at less than 249 g, it weighs about as much as an apple and fits in the palm of your hand. compact and convenient, this small drone is your ideal travel companion, transforming how you capture your favorite memories.
- 【3-AXIS GIMBAL WITH 4K CAMERA】: a 12mp camera in the sky delivers content guaranteed to impress. along with 4k/30fps video and a 3-axis motorized gimbal, mini 2 ensures stunning image quality that is consistently smooth no matter how adventurous your piloting gets.
- 【OCUSYNC 2.0 VIDEO TRANSMISSION】: mini 2 supports up to 10km of hd video transmission and has excellent anti-interference capabilities, giving you the ability to fly farther and see clearer.
- 【POWERFUL PERFORMANCE】: with a max battery life of 31 minutes, dji mini 2 grants more than enough time to compose the perfect shot. mini 2 can resist level 5 winds and take off at a max altitude of 4,000 meters, so your footage is stable even when flying along a windy coastline or high above an alpine forest.
- 【4X ZOOM】: there’s no need to get so close for your dream shot. 4x digital zoom makes it safer and more convenient when transitioning between shots of varying distance and composition.
The system takes off together vertically; transitions to forward flight; the two vehicles separate; the VTOL portion returns to the take-off pad; and then, the aircraft flies long distance. It’s an electric aircraft at that point: very efficient, very aerodynamic, lower mass, so it can go much further. It will then do a mid-air docking with another VTOL vehicle at the destination, transition to vertical flight and do a landing,” said Jamie Gull, Talyn Air chief executive.