William Shatner, best known for playing Captain James T. Kirk on “Star Trek: The Original Series,” has successfully completed a trip to the edge of space aboard Blue Origin’s NS-18 New Shepard rocket. The reusable rocket and capsule lifted off from Blue Origin Launch Site One, located north of the West Texas town of Van Horn, at approximately 9:50 a.m. local time. The ride vehicle completed an 11-minute flight, four of which let the crew experience weightlessness in outer space, before returning to land. Read more for two videos and additional information.
The rocket used to launch the capsule performed an upright landing around 7-minutes after liftoff, and touched down 2-miles north of the launchpad. William Shatner has now become the oldest person to have ever flown in space, beating the previous record set by 82-year-old Wally Funk on July 20th. The three other members who joined Shatner include Audrey Powers, Blue Origin’s VP of mission and flight operations; Glen de Vries, vice chair for life sciences and healthcare at Dassault Systèmes; and Chris Boshuizen, co-founder of Planet, an Earth observation company.
- Bring to life the rocket launch that took humans to the moon with the meter-high (approximately 1: 110 scale) model rocket of the NASA Apollo Saturn V
- The Saturn V rocket kit includes 3 removable rocket stages (first, s-ii second, and s-ivb third) below the launch escape system, command and service module; Plus, there are 2 minifigures to accompany the Lunar Lander and splashdown rocket toy
- After building the Saturn V rocket, you can display the spacecraft horizontally with 3 stands; The Lunar Lander docks with the command and service modules while the Lunar Orbiter sends the rocket into space
- Recreate space adventures with this NASA toy and action figures based off of the included booklet about the manned Apollo Moon missions and the fan designers of this build and play set
- This spaceship toy measures over 39-inches (100cm) high and 6-inches (17cm) in diameter; It includes 1,969 pieces and is ideal for boys and girls 14 years or older
That was unlike anything they described. Everybody in the world needs to do this. What you have given me is the most profound experience. I hope I never recover from this. I hope that I can maintain what I feel now. I don’t want to lose it,” said Shatner to Bezos after climbing out of the hatch.