Photo credit: Sue McGaughey
If you happened to see a halo ring around the moon in the San Francisco Bay Area, you’re not alone. Also called a moon ring, winter halo, or a 22-degree halo, this phenomenon happens when ice crystals suspended high above in thin wispy cirrus clouds refract the moon’s light to form a perfect circle, according to meteorologist Drew Tuma. Believe it or not, these winter halos may be visible on as many as 100 days per year, which is much more frequent than rainbows. Read more for two videos and additional information.
Traditional beliefs say that this phenomenon warns of approaching storms, appearing only when the sky is covered by thin cirrus or cirrostratus clouds that often come a few days before a large weather front. However, the sesame clouds can also appear without any associated weather change, making these winter halos unreliable as a sign of bad weather.
- Computerized automatic telescope: The Celestron 114LCM Computerized Newtonian Telescope with all glass optics can automatically locate 4,000 celestial objects with its GoTo mount and hand control, using star locating technology found on more advanced telescopes.
- Take the sky tour: If you’re not sure of what to observe, the Sky Tour button will do the work for you. Simply press the button and your computerized telescope will generate a list of the best objects currently available to view in the sky.
- Everything you need: The Celestron LCM telescope comes with everything you need for stargazing, including an adjustable aluminum tripod, 2 high-quality eyepieces (25mm & 9mm), & a StarPointer red dot finderscope. Download the SkyPortal App for added enjoyment.Apparent Field of View:1.6°
- Bonus free starry night software: This Celestron 114LCM Computerized Telescope includes a FREE download of one of the top consumer rated astronomy software programs for an interactive sky simulation.
- Unbeatable warranty and customer support: Buy with confidence from the world’s No 1 telescope brand, based in California since 1960. You’ll also receive a two-year warranty and unlimited access to technical support from our team of US-based experts.