First sppearing in The Western Literary Messenger, Volume 27, 1857. The story of this giant skeleton begins a day or two since when some workman engaged in subsoiling the grounds of Sheriff Wickham, at his vineyard in East Wheeling, came across this anomaly. Although much decayed there was little difficulty in identifying it, by placing the bones, which could not have had belonged to other than a human body, in their original position. Continue reading for an interesting radio / podcast video and more information.
According to Mound Builder, “The impression made from the skeleton itself, were measured by the Sheriff and a brother in the craft locale, both of whom were prepared to swear that it was 10 feet, 9 inches in length. Its jaws and teeth were almost as large as those of a horse. The bones are to be seen at the Sheriffs office – Wheeling Times.”