An Apple Watch lost by a woman while on a ride at Walt Disney World’s EPCOT theme park took an unexpected turn when the thief who found it knew that the tap-to-pay function did not require the connected iPhone or iPad. So, they started racking up charges, approximately $40,000 USD in all, with the linked American Express card found in Apple Wallet.
There was an effort made to retrieve the pricey Apple Watch Hermes Edition, but employees manning the ‘Seas with Nemo’ attraction quickly ushered her husband back into the ride vehicle. Apparently, the Apple Watch found its way through a grated hole, as the woman was able to see the device, but employees told her that it would be retrieved and returned to her hotel. However, you probably won’t be seeing an employee losing an Apple Watch prototype anytime soon.
- WHY APPLE WATCH SE — It has essential features to keep you connected, active, and healthy. SE is 2x faster and has a 30% larger display than Series 3. And safety features like fall detection and Emergency SOS can get you help when you need it.
- EASILY CUSTOMIZABLE — Available in a range of sizes and colors, with dozens of bands to choose from. Change up your look by switching your band or by customizing your watch face in millions of ways.
- SIMPLY COMPATIBLE — It works seamlessly with your Apple devices and services. Listen to music with your AirPods. Unlock your Mac automatically. Find your devices with a tap. Pay and send money with Apple Pay. Apple Watch requires an iPhone 6s or later with the latest iOS version.
- GREAT DURABILITY — Swimproof and built to be tough. Take it on a hike, hit the gym, or catch some waves without worry.
- ULTIMATE FITNESS PARTNER — Apple Watch helps you stay active. It has advanced sensors that track all the ways you move and measure your favorite workouts. And it comes with three months of Apple Fitness+ free.
[The victim] stated that she and her family were on the ‘Seas with Nemo’ ride [the day before]. [The victim] indicated that the ride was in an elevated position and at the same time she was ‘fidgeting’ with her wristwatch (Apple iWatch Hermes valued at $1,300). According to [the victim], her watch ‘popped’ off and fell through the grated floor of the ride. [The victim] advised that the watch landed on a pathway below the ride,” said the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.