A market research firm recently conducted a study that claimed the asteroid mining industry would help humans colonize other planets and extracting precious resources from them could protect Earth from potential impact events. There are currently over 9,000 known asteroids flying near Earth and many companies as well as space agencies are looking into the benefits of mining space rocks. Read more for two videos and additional information.
Hard rock minerals could be mined from an asteroid or a spent comet, while precious metals, like gold, silver, and platinum group metals, could be transported back to Earth. If iron group metals and other common ones were mined, they could be used for construction in space. Unfortunately, there are some potential setbacks as well, including the high cost of spaceflight, unreliable identification of asteroids which are suitable for mining, and ore extraction challenges.
- Travel-Friendly Educational Toys: Asteroid Escape features 60 challenges. Can you slide the puzzle pieces to create a path for your spaceship to escape the asteroid field? Thanks to its compact size and portable travel case, it is an excellent family travel game.
- Brain Games Build Skills: You and your children can build concentration skills, problem-solving abilities, spatial insight, logic, and planning while playing with SmartGames’ board games for kids and adults. It’s so fun to play, you’ll forget they’re learning!
- Ages 8 & Up: A more challenging SmartGame, this puzzle is perfect for slightly older kids and adults alike. With 60 challenges, you’re sure to find a puzzle that tests you and pushes you to think outside the box. While it’s a single-player game, it’s exciting to solve challenges with others.
- Set Includes: 1 compact game board with transparent lid, 8 sliding puzzle pieces, and 1 booklet with 60 challenges and solutions. Don’t forget to download our free app with features that enhance the experience of physical SmartGames.
- Award-Winning: SmartGames is the worldwide leader in multi-level logic family games. Our award-winning games offer levels of play from easy to challenging, and we pride ourselves in making family board games that are perfect for players of all ages.
Asteroid mining or space mining could help start the colonization of planets where finding water would be imperative. Also, the water can be broken down into hydrogen (used as fuel) and oxygen (air to breathe) and water is used to help grow food, as well as a protective shield from the harsh rays from the space such as UV, infrared and others,” according to the study.