China’s Zhurong Mars rover has officially traveled more than 509-meters (1670-feet) on the Martian surface as of 11pm on Saturday (July 17th), and during its journey, the parachute it used during landing was spotted. The rover is expected to arrive at the second sand dune on its journey and proceed to carry out a detailed survey of the formation as well as the surrounding environment. Read more for a video and additional information.
The backshell, which protected the rover from heat, and parachute, was photographed around 350-meters away from the landing site with the terrain camera. Currently, Zhurong has been operating on the surface of Mars for 63 Martian days, each of which is approximately 40 minutes longer than a day here on Earth. The Tianwen-1 spacecraft, consisting of an orbiter, a lander and a rover, touched down on May 14, 2021 in the southern part of Utopia Planitia, a vast plain in the northern hemisphere of the Red Planet. One thing to note is that there is a 21-minute delay of its one-way communication with mission control.
- Computerized star locating telescope: The Celestron NexStar 127SLT is a computerized telescope that offers a database of more than 40,000 stars, galaxies, nebulae, and more. The telescope locates your object with pinpoint accuracy and tracks it.
- Compact and portable: This telescope for adults and kids to be used together is ideal for weekend camping trips or excursions to dark sky sites. Its compact form factor makes it easy to transport and assemble just about anywhere.Optical Tube:Aluminum
- Maksutov-cassegrain optical design: The NexStar 127SLT is the second-largest in the SLT family. The 127mm aperture gathers enough light to see our Solar System and beyond. View Saturn’s rings, Jupiter’s cloud bands, and the Moon in brilliant detail.
- Fast setup with skyalign: Celestron’s proprietary SkyAlign procedure has you ready to observe in minutes. Simply center any 3 bright objects in the eyepiece and the NexStar SLT aligns to the night sky, ready to locate thousands of objects.
- Bonus free starry night software: The NexStar 127SLT Computerized Telescope includes a free download of one of the top consumer rated astronomy software programs for an interactive sky simulation.