First introduced in 2020, the Dawn Mk-II Aurora is a fully reusable sub-orbital aircraft that will one day launch satellites into space. It’s currently the second rocket-powered aircraft produced by the company, capable of flights up to 100 kilometers (62 miles) altitude, the edge of space, before returning to land at an airport. Once it lands, Aero Mk-II can be refuelled and flown again within hours. So far, it has successfully completed five flights to to assess the airframe and avionics of the vehicle. Read more for two videos and additional information.
This vehicle is serving as a technology demonstrator for the two-stage-to-orbit-vehicle, the Mk-III. It will also be used to capture atmospheric data used for weather / climate modelling as well as to conduct scientific research and technology demonstrations. The next-generation Mk-III, based on the Mk-II design, will have a larger payload capacity, thus enabling a 50-100kg (110 – 220lb) satellite to be delivered into orbit safely.
- Take a journey of exploration with this LEGO NASA Space Shuttle Discovery (10283) model building kit for adults
- Enjoy hours of immersive building as you create both the Space Shuttle Discovery and the Hubble Space Telescope from NASA’s 1990 STS-31 mission
- Check out all the authentic features, including the opening payload bay, retractable landing gear, opening cockpit, moving elevons, space arm, plus 5 seats for the crew
- The Hubble Space Telescope LEGO build features movable solar panels and a hatch door, just like on the real thing
- Looking for the best gifts for adults who love a creative project? This space shuttle model will appeal to space enthusiasts and anyone wanting an immersive building challenge, making it a great gift
Dawn is focussed on sustainable and scalable access to space and our Mk-II vehicle is entirely reusable. The team have successfully captured extensive data enabling further R&D on the capability of Mk-II. I’m hugely proud of our engineering team for designing and building a vehicle that flies beautifully first time and just as predicted. We are delighted with the results and demonstrating rapid turnaround – we conducted five flights within three days, and two flights occurred within ninety minutes of each other,” said Stefan Powell, Chief Technology Officer of Dawn Aerospace.