Photo credit: Estunlar.fo
The Eysturoyar tunnel network is set to open in the remote Faroe Islands and it looks to be a set from a science fiction movie. Spanning 7-miles, it runs beneath Skálafjørður fjord, connecting the islands of Streymoy and Eysturoy. This tunnel network and its undersea roundabout will drastically reduce journey times to the Faroe Islands’ capital Torshavn from many locations, including the Torshavn to Runavik route. It will slice it from 34 miles to a mere 10.5 miles. Read more for a video and additional information.
On the technical side, this undersea tunnel has three tubes which meet at an underwater roundabout, 238-feet below the surface of the Skálafjørður fjord. The main entrance from Tórshavn to the roundabout measures 24,475-feet and resurfaces by the village of Hvítanes, making it the second longest sub-sea road tunnel in the world, surpassed only by the Ryfast tunnel at Stavanger in Norway. For added safety, no incline in the tunnel is steeper than 5%, and the lowest point is 620 feet below the water’s surface.
- Build this LEGO Art Marvel Studios Iron Man (31199) set, featuring a model with 3 build options; Display your favorite version of Iron Man’s armor on your wall or shelf after you spend quality time making it
- Set your creative side free with this 3,167-piece LEGO set that includes 9 canvas wall decor plates, a Marvel Studios signature plate, brick-built LEGO frame, new hanging element and piece separator for easy rebuilding
- Relieve stress while you create a unique LEGO portrait of the MARK III, the HULKBUSTER MARK I or the MARK LXXXV armored Iron Man suits With the immersive Soundtrack, you can learn unexpected details as you build
- Revel in your love of Super Heroes while building this unique LEGO kit; To really push your creativity, buy and combine 3 of the sets to create an ultimate Iron Man wall piece to display in your home or office
- This 3in1 LEGO Art set measures over 15.5” (40cm) square; Display it on a wall or shelf, where its details help it stand out; It makes a great gift for you or another creative builder who’s into Super Heroes or Iron Man
The Eysturoy tunnel is planned to open the 19 of December 2020. It has a spectacular roundabout under the Atlantic Ocean. It will be decorated by the famous Faroese artist Trondur Patursson, with a ring of people dancing the traditional Faroese dance,” said Teitur Samuelsen, CEO of Estunlar, to Fox News.