DJI’s FPV drone isn’t something you want to fly over an erupting volcano, but that’s exactly what photographer Joey Helms did recently. Unfortunately, things didn’t turn out for the best, or at least for the drone. What sets this first-person view drone apart from the others is that the recordings are also stored in the goggles, which meant that the footage was salvageable despite the drone perishing. Read more for the footage and additional information.
Thankfully, the revenue generated from this video should more than cover the cost of a new DJI FPV drone. Since then he’s gotten even more into FPV and spent hours in the simulator, enabling him to fly these drones manually now. Let’s just hope that his next flight doesn’t get anywhere close to the mouth of Fagradalsfjall.
- 【IMMERSIVE FLIGHT EXPERIENCE】Feel the thrill of immersive flight provided by the DJI FPV Goggles V2 and DJI FPV’s super-wide 150° FOV, giving you an ultra-smooth, real-time view of your flight.
- 【4K/60FPS VIDEO】The DJI FPV aircraft can record 4K/60fps video at up to 120 Mbps, capturing crisp details that make footage look as exhilarating as the flight.
- 【BRAND-NEW S MODE】Get the dynamic look of FPV footage easily in S mode. This hybrid flight mode combines the freedom of flying manually with the simplified controls of previous DJI drones.
- 【ADVANCED SAFETY FEATURES】An auxiliary bottom light, Smart Return to Home (RTH), Low Battery RTH, and forward and downward obstacle sensing are all integrated into DJI FPV to help ensure a safe flight, even at high speeds.
- 【OCUSYNC 3.0 TRANSMISSION SYSTEM 】Enjoy crystal-clear real-time and HD Low-Latency Transmission video, even at distances of up to 10 km.
FPV drones are notorious for crashing, it is part of the hobby. So in an effort to get a unique vantage point and perspective into the crater, we flew this remarkably capable drone as close to the lava river and caldera as possible. One of them turned out to be its very last flight. At least the goggles record a great 1080p image allowing us to actually capture the last seconds the drone saw,” said Helms.