Douglas C-47 Skytrain Flying Over Great Pyramids in 1943 and 10 More Fascinating Colorized Historical Photos
1 Min Read
The Douglas C-47 Skytrain, also known as Dakota (RAF designation), is essentially military transport aircraft developed from the civilian Douglas DC-3 airliner. It was used extensively by the Allies during World War II and remains in front line service with various military operators to the present day. The photo above shows one of the aircraft flying over the Giza pyramids in Egypt sometime during 1943. Continue reading for ten more fascinating colorized historical photos.
10. Times Square on D-Day c.1944
9. Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II c.June 2, 1953
8. US Marines Speed Toward Iwo Jima’s beaches in LVTs c.February 19, 1945.
7. Man During the Great Depression
6. President Theodore Roosevelt and Naturalist John Muir on Glacier Point in Yosemite National Park c.1906
5. People on Holiday in Atlantic City, New Jersey c.1905
4. Captain Walter “Waddy” Young and Crew in Front of a B-29 Superfortress c.November 24, 1944
3. Drinking from a Colored Water Cooler at a Streetcar Terminal in Oklahoma City c.July 1939
2. President John F. Kennedy in the Oval Office c.February 10, 1961