Photo credit: AirStock via Peta Pixel
Photographer and founder of AirStock Garðar Ólafs wanted to get some footage of the erupting Geldingadalir volcano, which is 15 minutes from his hometown of Reykjanes, but that is quite the dangerous task to say the least, even for a drone. All was going well until he decided to fly right over the mouth of the fissure, as going around the eruption went perfectly fine. Fortunately, only the light under the drone and sensors were damaged. Read more for the footage and additional information.
He basically slowly lowered the drone until all he could see was erupting lava, and after looking up, the drone appeared to be engulfed by the magma. One of the damaged sensors included the vision sensor, which now has constant errors during flights. Fortunately, this damage should be repairable by either DJI themselves or at an authorized reseller.
- 【PACK LIGHT, FLY FREE】: at less than 249 g, it weighs about as much as an apple and fits in the palm of your hand. compact and convenient, this small drone is your ideal travel companion, transforming how you capture your favorite memories.
- 【3-AXIS GIMBAL WITH 4K CAMERA】: a 12mp camera in the sky delivers content guaranteed to impress. along with 4k/30fps video and a 3-axis motorized gimbal, mini 2 ensures stunning image quality that is consistently smooth no matter how adventurous your piloting gets.
- 【OCUSYNC 2.0 VIDEO TRANSMISSION】: mini 2 supports up to 10km of hd video transmission and has excellent anti-interference capabilities, giving you the ability to fly farther and see clearer.
- 【POWERFUL PERFORMANCE】: with a max battery life of 31 minutes, dji mini 2 grants more than enough time to compose the perfect shot. mini 2 can resist level 5 winds and take off at a max altitude of 4,000 meters, so your footage is stable even when flying along a windy coastline or high above an alpine forest.
- 【4X ZOOM】: there’s no need to get so close for your dream shot. 4x digital zoom makes it safer and more convenient when transitioning between shots of varying distance and composition.
It’s a special feeling having an erupting volcano 15 minutes from my home. Reykjanes has always been an underestimated part of Iceland, but today it’s probably the most known part, funny how things can change in one night,” said Ólafs.