Photo credit: EPFL | Alain Herzog
EPFL researchers at the Laboratory of Applied Photonics Devices (LAPD) have devised a high-precision method for 3D-printing small, soft objects in under 30-seconds from start to finish, which means that there are various potential applications in a wide range of fields, including 3D bioprinting. The process begins with a translucent liquid, and then darker spots begin to form in the small, spinning container until, 30-seconds later, the finished product takes shape. Read more for a video and additional information.
This new method has many advantages over existing ones, such as the ability to print solid parts of different textures, which make it ideally suited for medicine and biology. For example, the process could be used to make soft objects like tissue, organs, hearing aids and mouthguards. The printer works by sending a laser through the translucent gel (biological gel or liquid plastic), as necessary. It’s currently capable of making two-centimeter structures with a precision of 80 micrometers, but future models should be able to print objects up to 15 centimeters.
- REMOVABLE BUILD SURFACE PLATE: Provide all-round protection to your 3D printer build plate and ensure consistent temperature throughout the build surface. Easy to remove the printing models after cooling.
- SAFE POWER SUPPLY: Ender 3 Pro comes with a UL Certified power supply, protecting your printer from unexpected power surges, that can heat the hot bed to 110℃ in just 5 minutes.
- RESUME PRINT FUNCTION: Ender 3 Pro can resume printing from the last recorded extruder position after suffering unexpected power outages.
- SEMI-ASSEMBLED KIT: This easy-to-setup kit comes partially assembled, allowing you to learn about the basic construction of 3D printers as you finish putting it together. A fun STEM educational experience in mechanical engineering and electronics.
- WHAT YOU GET: Ceality Ender 3 Pro 3D pinrter, lifetime technical assistance and 24 hours professional customer service.
- Full manufacturer's warranty fulfilled by Flashforge, and free email support provided by expert FlashForge technicians
- A sturdy metal frame that is substantially more stable than the Creator's original wood frame.Build volume 8.9 X 5.8 X 5.9 inches
- Aviation level aluminum plate with a thickness of 6.3mm guarantee its surface is completely flat and will not warp during heating process
- Metal platform support plus 10mm guide rod ensure a precise Z axis movement and prevent platform arm from deforming. Filament Compatibility- PLA, ABS, PLA Color Change, Pearl, ABS Pro, Elastic, PVA, HIPS, PETG, TPE, TPU, Conductive Filament, Flexible Filament, Metal Filled Filament, Wood Filled Filament, and PP
- Enclosed chamber insulates and protects ABS prints.Filament Diameter:1.75 mm [0.069 in]
Conventional 3D printing techniques, known as additive manufacturing, build parts layer by layer. The problem is that soft objects made that way quickly fall apart. The trial results were extremely encouraging,” said Damien Loterie, the CEO of Readily3D.