Svanur Gabriele, a 17-year-old photographer based in Iceland, used an FPV drone to capture insane footage of a new volcanic eruption in Iceland for Airstock. The footage you’re about to see was shot above the Geldingadalir and the Meradalir volcanoes on August 3rd, 2022. They used a custom-built freestyle FPV drone equipped with a GoPro Hero10 action camera.
Sure, many have experience piloting normal drones, but this custom-built, five-inch freestyle FPV drone can fly at speeds of up to 100 mph, which means that any error would most likely result in its demise, especially over a volcano. Want more? This is what a waterfall looks like through the eyes of an FPV drone pilot.
- IMMERSIVE FLIGHT EXPERIENCE: Feel the thrill of immersive flight provided by the DJI FPV Goggles V2 and DJI FPV’s super-wide 150° FOV, giving you an ultra-smooth, real-time view of your flight.
- 4K/60FPS VIDEO: The DJI FPV aircraft can record 4K/60fps video at up to 120 Mbps, capturing crisp details that make footage look as exhilarating as the flight.
- BRAND-NEW S MODE: Get the dynamic look of FPV footage easily in S mode. This hybrid flight mode combines the freedom of flying manually with the simplified controls of previous DJI drones.
- ADVANCED SAFETY FEATURES: An auxiliary bottom light, Smart Return to Home (RTH), Low Battery RTH, and forward and downward obstacle sensing are all integrated into DJI FPV to help ensure a safe flight, even at high speeds.
- OCUSYNC 3.0 TRANSMISSION SYSTEM: Enjoy crystal-clear real-time and HD Low-Latency Transmission video, even at distances of up to 6.2 miles.
The area can be dangerous since there is gas coming from the fissure. If the wind direction changes it is necessary to have a proper gas mask. It is risky to fly over an active volcano since there is a lot of heat which will melt the drone if you get close to the lava, also there is a lot of magnetic interference,” said Gardar Olafs, Airstock Founder to Peta Pixel.