Photo credit: Christopher Graves
Inventor and gamer Christopher Graves transformed a Nintendo Game Boy Pocket console into a fully-functional Game Boy DSLR camera. This wasn’t simply putting a Game Boy Camera inside a Game Boy Pocket case, as it required a custom PCB, a custom leatherette shell, a ‘shutter’ button, CS/C lens mount, cold shoe, 1/4″ mounting screw, strap lugs, and more.
Cart swapping action pic.twitter.com/Q4s9GehHcb
— Game Boy Camera (@thegameboycam) July 10, 2022
Aside from swapping the internals of a 1996 Game Boy Pocket into the custom shell, Christopher also had to install a backlit IPS display with adjustable brightness, access to Link Port, Game Boy Advance SP buttons, an 1800 mAh battery good for up to 8-hours of use, USB Type-C charging, and the ability to swap cartridges. The latter means that you can swap in an original Game Boy Camera using the cartridge slot. For an internet connection, you’ll need this Game Boy Wi-Fi cartridge.
- 7-inch OLED screen - Enjoy vivid colors and crisp contrast with a screen that makes colors pop
- Wired LAN port - Use the dock’s LAN port when playing in TV mode for a wired internet connection
- 64 GB internal storage - Save games to your system with 64 GB of internal storage
- Enhanced audio – Enjoy enhanced sound from the system’s onboard speakers when playing in Handheld and Tabletop modes.
- Wide adjustable stand – Freely angle the system’s wide, adjustable stand for comfortable viewing in Tabletop mode. Nintendo Switch – OLED Model supports all Joy-Con controllers and Nintendo Switch software