Have you been noticing an extra star in the western sky recently? That’s because sunsets in July come with an extra view of our cosmic neighbor, the planet Venus. This rocky world is similar in size to Earth, but unfortunately, developed into an incredibly hot world. It’s sometimes referred to as “the Morning Star,” or “the Evening Star,” depending on when it’s visible. In July, it’s the latter, and you’ll find Venus sitting low in the west together with a faint planet Mars beginning about half an hour after sunset. Read more for two videos and a bonus.
You’ll be able to view this phenomenon each evening as Venus and Mars get closer, with the closest conjunction arriving on July 12th, when they’ll be only a finger’s width apart. View them together with a slim, crescent Moon that is just 10% illuminated. The Red Planet will be most visible at the start of July and more difficult to see as the month goes on. It will remain in the evening sky for the rest of the year, with its brightest day coming on December 4th, along with the new moon.
- Superior optics: The Celestron 70mm Travel Scope features high-quality, fully-coated glass optics, a potent 70mm objective lens, a lightweight frame, and a custom backpack to carry it all. Its quality is unmatched in its class and against competitors.
- Powerful eyepieces for up-close viewing: Our telescope for astronomy beginners is equipped with two high-quality eyepieces (20mm and 10mm) that provide low- and high-power views of celestial objects at night and terrestrial objects during the day.
- Large 70mm objective lens: Our refractor telescope is equipped with a large 70mm aperture objective lens that provides enhanced, brighter views compared to the 50mm model while adding very little additional weight. Setting up and using the Travel Scope is quick and easy.
- Bonus bag, tripod, and software: This Celestron telescope and full-height tripod can be taken anywhere in the included travel backpack. Accessories also include a FREE download of one of the top consumer rated astronomy software programs.
- Unbeatable warranty and customer support: Buy with confidence from the telescope brand, based in California since 1960. You’ll also receive a 2-year warranty and unlimited access to technical support from our team of US-based experts.
July is one of the best times of year to enjoy the magical sight that is the Milky Way. This is our view of our spiral galaxy, seen edge on, from within. Now, some part of the Milky Way is visible in the night sky any time of year, but the galaxy’s bright, complex core is only observable during certain months,” said NASA.