IBM Research officially revealed the world’s first chip with 2 nanometer (nm) nanosheet technology, paving the way for the future of semiconductors. Many know that by increasing the number of transistors per chip, they can become smaller, faster, more reliable, and more efficient. This breakthrough 2 nm design showcases the advanced scaling of semiconductors using IBM’s nanosheet technology, which enables the 2 nm chip to fit up to 50 billion transistors on a fingernail-sized chip. Read more for a video and additional information.
Increased transistors on a chip also means that processor designers have more options to infuse core-level innovations to improve capabilities for leading edge workloads, such as artificial intelligence and cloud computing, as well as new pathways for hardware-enforced security / encryption. For consumers, this means future smartphones with quadrupled battery life, much faster laptops, and far more accurate object detection in autonomous vehicles.
- System: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz (4.2GHz Max Turbo) | 8GB DDR4 RAM | 240GB SSD | Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- Graphics: NVIDIA GT 730 2GB Video Card | Display Connectors - VGA, DVI-I, & HDMI
- Connectivity: 4 x USB 3.0 | 2 x USB 2.0 | 1x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000 | Audio: 7.1 Channel
- Special Add-Ons: Tempered Glass RGB Gaming Case | 802.11AC Wi-Fi Included | 16 Color RGB Lighting Case | Free iBuyPower Gaming Keyboard & RGB Gaming Mouse | No Bloatware
- Warranty: 1 Year Parts & Labor + Free Lifetime US Tech Support | Assembled in the U.S.A
The IBM innovation reflected in this new 2 nm chip is essential to the entire semiconductor and IT industry. It is the product of IBM’s approach of taking on hard tech challenges and a demonstration of how breakthroughs can result from sustained investments and a collaborative R&D ecosystem approach,” said Darío Gil, SVP and Director of IBM Research.