Photo credit: Cosmic Background
Photographer Andrew McCarthy knows that capturing a perfect image of the moon in one shot is nearly impossible, even with a high-end DSLR, so he decided to stitch together dozens of shots to create the composite that you see here. To be more specific, it’s made from two weeks of moon waxing and he took the lunar terminator of the picture that has the most contrast (where shadows are the longest), aligned and blended them to show the rich texture across the entire surface. Read more for additional pictures and information.
View this post on Instagram
Oops… All terminator! I haven't posted in a while, partly because I was under the weather, and partly because I was working on this BEAST of a project. This moon might look a little funny to you, and that's because it is an impossible scene. From 2 weeks of images of the waxing moon, I took the section of the picture that has the most contrast (right before the lunar terminator where shadows are the longest), aligned and blended them to show the rich texture across the entire surface. This was exhausting to say the least, namely because the moon doesn't line up day over day, so each image had to be mapped to a 3d sphere and adjusted to make sure each image aligned. I may or may not try this again for the waning phases depending on feedback. The full size for this, as well as a phone background, was shared with patrons. Check the link in my bio if you'd like to join and get access to more exclusive content! Prints are also available through my main gallery.
Ensuring that he had the moon perfectly aligned, McCarthy trained his camera on the craters closest to the lunar terminator every night for two weeks as it waxed toward complete illumination. This resulted in high-contrast, high-definition photos of every crater on the moon’s Earth-facing side. However, blending all of these shots together proved to be a headache, but a worthwhile one at that.
- Quality Optics: 400mm(f/5.7) focal length and 70mm aperture, fully coated optics glass lens with high transmission coatings creates stunning images and protect your eyes. Perfect telescope for astronomers to explore stars and moon.
- Magnification: Come with two replaceable eyepieces and one 3x Barlow lens.3x Barlow lens trebles the magnifying power of each eyepiece. 5x24 finder scope with mounting bracket and cross-hair lines inside make locating objects easily.
- Wireless Remote: Free includes one smart phone adapter and one Wireless camera remote to explore the nature of the world easily through the screen and take amazing celestial images.
- Adjustable Tripod: This telescope allows for many different viewing positions with a adjustable aluminum alloy tripod and a carry bag, the telescope and tripod can fit inside the bag for easy traveling and storage.
- Satisfaction: TWO-YEAR warranty. And technical support from our team of experts in 24 hours.