Brick master Jumpei Mitsui recently unveiled his latest creation, and it’s the famed painting from the Edo-period of Japan, Hokusai’s Ukioy-e print “The Great Wave off Kanagawa”. It took him over 400-hours and 50,000 pieces to recreate this masterpiece. Even before starting the build, Mitsui had to study videos of waves crashing as well as academic papers on the topic. Next, he sketched a detailed model of the LEGO model, complete with boats. Read more for a video, additional pictures and information.
He used various curved LEGO bricks to create the wave’s foam, but the rest of it is just standard pieces. The foam was added to give a sense that the waves are breaking and crashing down into the water. Want to see this in person when travel restrictions are lifted? Just head on over to the Hankyu Brick Museum in Osaka, Japan.
- Build this stunning LEGO Art The Beatles (31198) canvas art set, featuring a model with 4 build options; You can display your passion for The Beatles on your wall or shelf after creating any 1 of the 4 portraits
- Escape the daily grind with this 2,933-piece LEGO set for adults, which includes 9 canvas wall decor plates, a ‘The Beatles' signature tile, a brick-built LEGO frame, unique new hanging element and piece separator
- This set immerses you in your passion for arts and crafts while you make a creative piece of art; With the included Soundtrack, you can really dive into the set and learn unexpected details as you build
- Celebrate your love of music and The Beatles by building and displaying this unique set. It also makes an imaginative birthday present for yourself or other DIY enthusiasts in your life who love creative projects
- This 4in1 art piece measures over 15.5” (40cm) square; It displays beautifully on a wall or shelf and its details will ensure it stands out in your collection; This clever LEGO set offers 4 different building options
It reminded us about how there is beauty in broken things and tried to capture the sense of this using LEGO bricks. It’s a small example of the amazing play possibilities of the brand,” said LEGO Agency Head of Creative in Singapore Primus Nair.
レゴで作った「富嶽三十六景 神奈川沖浪裏」を動画で撮ってみました。絵の登場人物の目線で楽しむことができます。 pic.twitter.com/V8TTIJ8l2D
— 三井淳平 / Jumpei Mitsui (@Jumpei_Mitsui) December 12, 2020