Researchers at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (BGU) unveils AmphiSTAR, a high-speed amphibious robot inspired by the cockroach and basilisk lizard. This palm-sized robot is capable of crawling at high speed (3.3mph) or hover over water (1.5 m/s). It doesn’t have to be flat land, as it can easily traverse gravel, mud, dirt, grass and concrete. This robot comes equipped with four propellers that can tilt the axes using a sprawl mechanism, while two gas tanks enable it to float. Read more for a video and additional information.
Practical applications include for agricultural purposes, search & rescue, and excavation expeditions that could require one to crawl as well as swim. What could make it even more useful? Possibly adding some rotors for flight.
- With LEGO MINDSTORMS Robot Inventor (51515), kids gain essential STEM skills as they build, code and play with remote-control model robots and intelligent creations that shoot missiles, play ball, drive around and more!
- Kids build Charlie, Tricky, Blast, M.V.P. and Gelo, and take on activities and missions using the Scratch-based LEGO MINDSTORMS Robot Inventor App (visit LEGO.com/devicecheck for a list of compatible devices)
- With almost 1,000 pieces, including an intelligent Hub, 4 Medium Motors, Color Sensor and Distance Sensor with break-out interface, youngsters can also build their own fun robotic toys and share them online on LEGO Life
- An easy-to-install rechargeable battery is included, so no need to go hunting for spare batteries when the fun’s about to start
- Blast stands at over 14” (36cm) tall, while Gelo measures over 9” (24cm) long; The Powered Up components in this set are also compatible with the LEGO BOOST Creative Toolbox (17101), Droid Commander (75253) and others
Our future research will focus on the scalability of the robot and on underwater swimming,” said Dr. David Zarrouk, director, Bioinspired and Medical Robotics Laboratory in BGU’s Department of Mechanical Engineering in a statement.