In the image above, you’ll see NASA astronaut Shane Kimbrough, one of seven ISS crew members on the left, while the right side image shows a smoke plume rising from the Manhattan area after two planes crashed into the towers of the World Trade Center photographed from space during the morning of September 11, 2001. Kimbrough transmitted a video message to Earth in honor of those who lost their lives that fateful day as well as to anyone affected by the September 11 attacks. Read more for the video message and a bonus.
.@NASA astronaut @Astro_Kimbrough marks the 20th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks with remarks from the International Space Station. “We will never forget,” says Kimbrough. pic.twitter.com/O2d8LAM46W
— International Space Station (@Space_Station) September 11, 2021
During NASA’s Expedition 3, Commander Frank Culbertson was aboard the International Space Station at the time of the attacks, and also the only American on the crew. Immediately after learning of the attacks, he began documenting the event in photographs because the station was flying over the New York City area. He captured mesmerizing images in the minutes and hours following, while recording his thoughts of the world changing beneath him.
- Challenge your construction skills with this LEGO Ideas ISS (21321) display model, featuring 2 rotating joints with 8 adjustable ‘solar panels’, posable Canadarm2 and other authentic details to discover as you build
- This ISS model comes with a stand, 2 astronaut microfigures, a brick-built mini NASA space shuttle and 3 mini cargo spacecrafts to create a spectacular display and rekindle nostalgic memories of childhood LEGO projects
- Includes a 148-page booklet featuring fascinating facts about the International Space Station, the spaceship model’s fan creator and LEGO designer, and a celebration of the LEGO Ideas theme’s 10th anniversary
- A super treat for yourself, birthday present or holiday gift idea for space fans, adults aged 16+ or any experienced LEGO builder, this 864-piece set offers hours of creative fun, whether built solo or with friends
- This ISS (International Space Station) toy building kit for adults, measuring over 7” (20cm) high, 12” (31cm) long and 19” (49cm) wide, makes a beautiful display model that will catch the eye of every passerby
To the victims and their families, survivors and first responders, we remember. The horrifying images of that day are still present in so many of our minds. As we remember 9/11 20 years later, despite that time of tragic loss and grief, it was also a time we saw the strength and resilience of our a nation, and the incredible support from people all around the world,” said Kimbrough.