NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) Limbed Excursion Mechanical Utility Robot (LEMUR) was initially designed to make repairs on the International Space Station, but after that program ended, it has its sights set much higher. Engineers are testing the robot and using the gathered data with LEMUR to further explore robots that will eventually land on Mars and beyond. Read more for a video and additional information.
During a test at Death Valley, California, LEMUR’s AI selected its own route, and used hundreds of tiny fishhooks embedded in each of its 16 fingers to scale a vertical surface. The robot used its science instruments to scan the rock for ancient fossils, in which it discovered fossilized balls of algae, which once inhabited the warm sea in that area around 500-million years ago.
- Bring to life the rocket launch that took humans to the moon with the meter-high (approximately 1: 110 scale) model rocket of the NASA Apollo Saturn V. This space toy with astronaut figures lets you role play the many missions the Saturn V completed.
- The Saturn V rocket kit includes 3 removable rocket stages (first, s-ii second, and s-ivb third) below the launch escape system, command and service module. Plus, there are 2 minifigures to accompany the Lunar Lander and splashdown rocket toy.
- After building the Saturn V rocket, you can display the spacecraft horizontally with 3 stands. The Lunar Lander docks with the command and service modules while the Lunar Orbiter sends the rocket into space.
- Recreate space adventures with this NASA toy and action figures based off of the included booklet about the manned Apollo Moon missions and the fan designers of this build and play set
- This spaceship toy measures over 39-inches (100cm) high and 6-inches (17cm) in diameter. It includes 1,969 pieces and is ideal for boys and girls 14 years or older.