NASA astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken have successfully arrived at the International Space Station, approximately 19-hours after launching from Kennedy Space Center in Florida. This mission marks also the first private company to launch astronauts for NASA. The Crew Dragon capsule docked with the station at 10:17 a.m. EST while transiting over the border of northern China and Mongolia. Read more for two videos and additional information.
The astronauts tested the vehicle’s control and life support systems during their 19-hour journey, along with some shut eye in their sleeping bags. SpaceX’s Crew Dragon is specially designed to dock autonomously to the ISS, but since this is a test run, Hurley and Doug took over the manual controls when they got near the station to test the vehicle’s controls before letting the computer complete the final docking sequence.
- Bring to life the rocket launch that took humans to the moon with the meter-high (approximately 1: 110 scale) model rocket of the NASA Apollo Saturn V. This space toy with astronaut figures lets you role play the many missions the Saturn V completed.
- The Saturn V rocket kit includes 3 removable rocket stages (first, s-ii second, and s-ivb third) below the launch escape system, command and service module. Plus, there are 2 minifigures to accompany the Lunar Lander and splashdown rocket toy.
- After building the Saturn V rocket, you can display the spacecraft horizontally with 3 stands. The Lunar Lander docks with the command and service modules while the Lunar Orbiter sends the rocket into space.
- Recreate space adventures with this NASA toy and action figures based off of the included booklet about the manned Apollo Moon missions and the fan designers of this build and play set
- This spaceship toy measures over 39-inches (100cm) high and 6-inches (17cm) in diameter. It includes 1,969 pieces and is ideal for boys and girls 14 years or older.
It’s been a real honor to be be just a small part of this nine-year endeavor since the last time a United States spaceship has docked with the International Space Station. I want to complement the [SpaceX] teams at Hawthorne. Just a spectacular job with the simulator as the vehicle flew exactly like the simulators out in Hawthorne,” said Hurley.