Want to play Half-Life: Alyx, but can’t get your hands on a virtual reality headset? If so, then you’re in luck, as a developer has just released a mod, called ‘Pancake FPS Starter Kit’, that not only lets you play in non-VR mode, but also adds the ability to add custom weapon scripts. If you happen to use the base mod, there will only be weapons from Half-Life 2. Read more for a video and additional information.
How do you use this kit? Simply extract the zip file from GitHub into a VR program, and it will remove the virtual reality requirements from the Steam launch arguments (using the argument ‘-novr’). More information here.
- Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4GHz (3.9 GHz Max Boost) CPU Processor | 500G SSD – Up to 30x Faster Than Traditional HDD | A320M Motherboard
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB GDDR5 Video Card | 8 GB Gaming Memory DDR4 3000 with Heat Spreader | Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- PCIe AC Wi-Fi with Antenna | No bloatware | 4 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Ports, 2 x USB 2.0 | HD Audio and Mic | Free RGB Keyboard & Mouse
- 3 x RGB RING Fans for Maximum Air Flow | Powered by 550 Watt Power Supply | Skytech mATX Mid-Tower Tempered Glass Case
- 1 Year Warranty on Parts and Labor | Lifetime Free Technical Support | Assemble in the USA | This Powerful Gaming PC Capable to Run Any of Your Favorite Game at 1080P High to Ultra Resolution with 60+ FPS Such As Apex Legends, Fortnite, Player Unknown Battleground (PUBG), Overwatch, CS:GO, Battlefield V, Anthem, The Division 2, and More.
Ideally, one would not use this to make an addon for Half-Life: Alyx that is solely for non-VR. Instead, you could use this to create an addon that works in both: non-VR, and VR if one wanted to. For instance: logic_auto supports two special outputs: OnVREnabled, and OnVRNotEnabled. These two outputs can be used to change the map depending on whether or not the player is in VR,” said its creator.