Super Mario Bros. 3 is a platform game developed and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) that was released in Japan on October 23, 1988, North America on February 12, 1990 and Europe on August 29, 1991. Arguably one of the greatest video games of all time, it was created by the Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development team, led by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka. Read more for a fascinating 45-minute look back at this incredible game.
In the game, players control plumbers Mario or Luigi, who must save Princess Toadstool as well as the rulers of seven different kingdoms from the villain Bowser. You defeat enemies by stomping them or using items that bestow magical powers, which include flight, sliding down slopes, throwing fireballs, etc. Unlike previous titles, this one introduces many new elements that became Mario series staples, like Bowser’s children (the Koopalings) and a world map to transition between levels.
Other new power-ups are introduced that provide the player with new options, such as the Super Leaf and Tanooki Suit, which gives Mario raccoon and Tanooki appearances, enabling him to fly. The latter allows him to turn into stone to avoid enemies for a short period of time, and changing into a Tanooki statue while jumping results in Mario pounding the ground and smashing whatever enemies are directly under him. That’s not all, a new Frog Suit increases the character’s underwater swimming speed, agility, and jumping height on land. Last, but not least, the Hammer Suit gives Mario the appearance of the Hammer Brothers enemy and allows him to throw hammers at enemies, along with resisting fire attacks when crouching.
- Multiple System Compatibility: The RetroN 5 allows you to play your favorite NES, SNES, Super Famicom, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and GBA cartridges on one system. You can also play Master System games with the use of the Power Base Converter.*
- HD Output: The HD output will upconvert the signal to your HDTV with a maximum output resolution of 720p.
- Save/Load States: Save or load your games at any point during gameplay, with 10 save slots for each game.
- Bluetooth Wireless Controller: Utilizing Bluetooth technology, this controller has a range of up to 30 feet and features a microswitch directional pad, two programmable macro buttons, and a Home button for quick-in game access to features.
- Original Controller Ports: 2 original controller ports (6 total) for each platform
- Play a nearly limitless number of side scrolling Super Mario courses anytime, anywhere
- Start with the 100+ built in courses in the single player Story Mode, a new Mario adventure that unleashes the creative potential of Super Mario Maker 2
- Break the rules as you use a wide range of parts, tools, and customization options to create the side scrolling Super Mario courses of your dreams alone or together by passing a Joy Con controller to a partner
- With a Nintendo Switch Online membership, power up the fun, even further in Course World as part of the vibrant Super Mario Maker 2 community: share your courses, access a near endless supply made by others, enjoy online multiplayer, and more
- Free software updates to Super Mario Maker 2 have added new features like a World Maker mode, letting players create their own world map. Also added are Link from the Legend of Zelda series as a playable character, new cars parts, and more
Super Mario Bros. 3 also includes a multiplayer mode that lets two players play the game by taking turns at navigating the overworld map and accessing stage levels – the first player controls Mario and the second, Luigi. In this mode, players can access several mini-games, including a remake of the original Mario Bros. arcade game.