The Deployable Emergency Shelter, designed by a team of students from the Royal Danish Academy, has an origami-inspired design that harnesses extreme conditions to its advantage. Put simply, it can use captured snow as a natural insulator as well as a protective layer through a frictional origami skin that covers its lightweight lattice structure. It can be deployed just about anywhere, including hiking routes or out in the wilderness. Read more for a video, additional pictures and information.
How effective is the origami skin? Well, the two students discovered that with 300-400mm snow cover, there was an average of 37°C difference between inside and outside compared to a conventional winter tent which offered a 13°C difference. Even during high winds, the aerodynamic water droplet form naturally anchored the shelter directly into the ground while dispersing wind forces. There is no word yet on if this concept will become commercially available.
- SPEED UP YOUR RECHARGEABILITY: It takes only 2 hours to recharge 80% battery of the power station through the wall outlet and 60W PD USB-C port simultaneously. You can also recharge your power station with an AC adapator when at home, through the car outlet during a road trip or simply use a Jackery SolarSaga 100.
- SAFE & STEADY POWER SUPPLY: Armed with a 293Wh lithium-ion battery pack, the Explorer 300 features 2 Pure Sine Wave AC outlets that deliver stable and safe 300W power. The portable power station weighs only 7.1 pounds. You can simply rest assured in outdoor off-grid activities.
- POWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS: Featuring 2* AC outlet, 1* PD 60W USB-C port (input/output supported) , 1* fast charge 3.0 port, 1*USB-A port and 1* DC car port, the power station can recharge itself and charge (up to) 6 devices (e.g.Drones, Macbook, Cameras, etc.) at the same time to satisfy your outdoor needs.
- GREEN POWER SUPPLY: The power station is compatible with the Jackery SolarSaga 100 solar panel. The integrated MPPT controller enables the solar generator set to operate at its max power point, so that it speeds up the battery recharge, making them ideal portable power kits for tent camping, overland journey and etc.
- WHAT YOU GET: 1* Jackery Explorer 300 Portable Power Station , 1*AC adapter, 1* car charger cable, 1* user guide
What would you do if you found yourself in extreme arctic conditions? Lost with little visibility, no cell phone coverage and sub-zero temperatures. Hypothermia is a serious threat, and help could be hours away. Cold extreme environments are hostile, with conditions often unpredictable and uncontrollable. This project proposes an alternative shelter design, which looks to harness extreme conditions to its advantage, rather than fight against them,” said its creators.