Finally, after numerous delays, the Panic Playdate is set to launch at $179 USD, with double the number of season one games originally planned and double the amount of internal storage originally announced. Pre-orders are set to begin next month and this hand crank game console hopes to capture the spirit of endless possibility that games have given us since the beginning. Read more for the full 15-minute video update and additional information.
This device is designed to run monochrome 2-bit games on a 2.7-inch screen, with players using a special hand-crank controller on its side. How do the games work? Once you purchase a unit, it will automatically download the first season of original games, which means that they would be wirelessly transmitted and installed to the Playdate as soon as they were available for no additional cost. Want even more to play? Anyone who owns a unit can make their own games, and third-party games can also be installed directly onto a Playdate without requiring any additional software.
- 3 Play Styles: TV Mode, Tabletop Mode, Handheld Mode
- 6.2-inch, multi-touch capacitive touch screen
- 4.5-9 plus Hours of Battery Life Will vary depending on software usage conditions
- Connects over Wi-Fi for multiplayer gaming; Up to 8 consoles can be connected for local wireless multiplayer
- Model number: HAC-001(-01)
- Handheld Nintendo Switch gaming at a great price
- For every member of your family, there's a member of ours
- Optimized for personal, handheld play, Nintendo Switch Lite is a small and light Nintendo Switch system
We’ve all been quietly working non-stop to get all of the complex pieces of the Playdate puzzle into place, and at last we’re ready to show you what we’ve been up to. There’s a lot of amazing things being created here that will hopefully add a bit of joy to your life. And while we’re launching a price a little bit higher than we planned — largely due to the massive global shortage of electronic parts right now — we took the last year to double the number of free games included in Season One. More on that in the update,” said Cabel Sasser, co-founder of Panic