Yes, Lake Hillier is a real saline lake on the edge of Middle Island off the south coast of Western Australia. What sets it apart from others is its pink color, which does not come from artificial coloring, but rather due to the presence of the organism Dunaliella salina. Unfortunately, this is not a place you want to be swimming, as air is the best mode of transportation for viewing the lake. Read more for a video and additional in formation.
At one point in its history the lake was used to collect salt and is surrounded by a rim of sand and a dense woodland of paperbark as well as eucalyptus trees with a narrow strip of sand dunes covered by vegetation separating its northern edge from the northern coast of Middle Island.
- GROW YOUR OWN HABITAT: Experience the wonder of nature with the Grow N' Glow Terrarium! This kit allows you to craft, plant, water and grow your own terrarium tabletop garden.
- COMPLETE KIT: Comes with everything you need for two full plant life cycles! Kit includes: plastic mason-style jar, decorative lid, potting mix, organic chia and wheat grass seeds, garden figurines, decorative sand, river stones and a plant mister to keep your terrarium watered.
- DECORATE YOUR TERRARIUM: Watch your terrarium glow! Add dimension to your terrarium with translucent glow-in-the-dark stickers that light up your terrarium at night!
- EDUCATIONAL KIT: The perfect STEAM activity that mixes science and art. Create your own eco-system and learn about botany and the life cycle of plants. Your habitat will begin to grow in as little as 3-4 days
- KID TESTED AND SAFE: Since 1976 Creativity for Kids has proudly created safe, innovative products that meet or exceed U.S. safety standards as determined by independent laboratory testing. Recommended for ages 6 to 96
When viewed from above, the lake appears a solid pink, but from the shoreline, the water appears to be more of a clear pink hue. The shoreline is also covered in salt crust deposits, in which early settlers used to collect.