Yes, Lake Hillier is a real saline lake on the edge of Middle Island off the south coast of Western Australia. What sets it apart from others is its pink color, which does not come from artificial coloring, but rather due to the presence of the organism Dunaliella salina. Unfortunately, this is not a place you want to be swimming, as air is the best mode of transportation for viewing the lake. Read more for a video and additional in formation.
At one point in its history the lake was used to collect salt and is surrounded by a rim of sand and a dense woodland of paperbark as well as eucalyptus trees with a narrow strip of sand dunes covered by vegetation separating its northern edge from the northern coast of Middle Island.
- GROW YOUR OWN TERRARIUM - Explore the wonder of nature and science with the Grow 'N Glow Terrarium Kit! This indoor activity for kids allows you to craft, plant, water and grow your own mini ecosystem. Just add water for a unique science experience!
- SCIENCE KITS FOR KIDS - Includes everything a young botanist needs for two plant life cycles! STEM Science kit features: plastic mason-style jar, potting mix (vermiculite), organic chia and wheat grass seeds, glow-in-the-dark forest figurines and more!
- WATCH IT GLOW - Watch your terrarium glow and grow! Add dimension to your DIY terrarium with translucent glow-in-the-dark star and constellation stickers that will light up your mini garden at night!
- ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS - The perfect STEAM activity that mixes science and art. Create your own terrarium while learning responsibility and nurturing. Your terrarium will begin to grow in as little as 3-4 days. All seeds are from and packaged in the USA
- GREAT GIFTS FOR KIDS - Since 1976, Creativity for Kids has proudly made fun and creative experiences today to nurture children's confidence for life. This garden kit for kids features non-toxic arts and craft supplies and is recommended for ages 6+
When viewed from above, the lake appears a solid pink, but from the shoreline, the water appears to be more of a clear pink hue. The shoreline is also covered in salt crust deposits, in which early settlers used to collect.