Most already know that a gun turret is essentially a mounting platform that can be used to fire weapons for protection, visibility and the ability to turn as well as aim. Is it possible to build one using scrap metal, an airsoft gun, a 3D printer, solar charger and a Raspberry Pi computer? Most definitely, but it took this inventor a little bit of tinkering to get things just right. Read more to see it in-action.
First, he needed to disassemble a functional airsoft gun and remove all of the unnecessary parts. Next, a 3D printer was used to create the turret itself, which will be used to house the airsoft gun internals, all mounted on a steel plate. Power comes from a solar power bank that outputs 5V, or just enough to run the Raspberry Pi software. A laptop then wirelessly communicates with the Raspberry Pi for a live video feed and to also control the gun.
- Compatible with Raspberry Pi Zero and Zero W / Zero W 2; NOTE: The Raspberry Pi Zero and Zero W / Zero W 2 are not included! Safe Shutdown; 3.5mm audio port; LED power indicator; 2.8 inch IPS screen; Game Boy inspired Raspberry Pi case.
- The handheld itself comes fully assembled but you still need to install the Raspberry Pi into the cartridge shell and install the OS/Software and roms.
- GPi CASE can have SAFE SHUTDOWN functions. (Scripts are necessary). * Safe shutdown scripts: Download it from below " Product Description ".
- Because Retropie and Recalbox systems default display output is HDMI, you need to install display GPi CASE patch for Retropie and Recalbox. GPi CASE has to transfer display output to GPIO for it to work correctly. Download from below "Product Description".
- Package includes: 1 x GPi Case,1x Black Carrying Bag,1x Copper Heatsink,1 x Flannel Bag ,1 x Introduction Manual,1 x 32G Class 10 Micro SD Card,1 x Black Card Adapter,1 x Card Protector Case, 1x Protector Film
Ordinarily I would explain why I built a project first… but frankly, the answer this time is ‘just because I wanted to!’ So this is how I built my homemade autonomous AND manually controlled airsoft sentry turret!,” said its creator.