Photo credit: Benjamin Bezine via Peta Pixel
Designer Benjamin Bezine wanted to create an automated film scanner, but in an unconventional way. So, he decided to use a Raspberry Pi mini computer, LEGO pieces, and a mirrorless camera that uses machine learning to scan entire rolls of film. The version you’re about to see is the fourth-generation Roboscan model, with the biggest upgrade being the Raspberry Pi and using machine learning to detect when a photo is properly framed before activating the camera to fire. Read more for a video and additional information.
Benzine didn’t just stop at the device itself, as he even developed a web interface for controlling the scanning process, complete with full control of the camera settings that can be saved and restored at the end of each session. This version can scan a full 36-frame roll of film in approximately 6-minutes, including transferring all images to a PC. More information here.
- 🍓【As Powerful As A PC】 8GB RAM Motherboard, New SOC Broadcom BCM2711, quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit at 1.5GHz. Dual band 802.11b/g/n/ac WiFi (2.4/5.0 GHz) and BT 5.0 module. Transfers via 2 USB 3.0 & 2 USB 2.0 ports is faster up to 10 times, 4Gb/s or 500 MB/s. It is more than enough for real multitasking and productivity.
- 🍓【8GB RAM Starter Kit Offers Faster Performance】 8GB RAM cooperated with quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit at 1.5GHz gives full play to the CPU performance and RAM advantage. Capable of supporting HEVC 4K streams at 60 fps and managing 2 screens in 4K. Faster Gigabit Ethernet & Power-over-Ethernet support.
- 🍓【128GB Class 10 SanDisk Micro SD Card】 Preloaded with Raspberry Pi OS (Raspbian), very easy to use for even beginners. LABISTS Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8GB RAM Starter Kit also comes with a micro SD card reader which is compatible with USB-A & USB-C.
- 🍓【Equipped with Raspberry Pi 4 Heatsink Fan】 1 heatsink fan and 3 premium copper heat sinks for impeccable heat dissipation, better than those only two aluminum heatsinks. Comes with install tools, easily setup within 1 minute. A real raspberry pi 4 Model B 8GB RAM complete Starter Kit which is must needed for learning code, developing new projects, and even office works.
- 🍓【Specially Designed Premium Raspberry Pi 4 Case】 Offers your Raspberry pi good protection. Easy access to raspberry pi camera module, power, audio/video, USB, LAN, micro SD card, and HDMI connector, enough space for fan and gap to dissipate heat.
The first version was a simple proof of concept, but was too sensitive to variations in the film, such as rigidity of the film, imprecision in the photos spacing. There were also many manual operations such as camera settings you always forget to change. So, I made a new, more robust version that tries to make this faster and fool-proof,” said Bezine.