NTU Singapore and the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) researchers have made an innovative new ‘chain mail’ fabric can be flexed just like cloth, but stiffen on demand when required. This lightweight fabric is entirely 3D-printed from nylon plastic polymers and consists of hollow, interlocking octahedrons (eight equal triangular faces). When this material is encased in a plastic envelope and vacuum-packed, it becomes 25-times more rigid and can hold more than 50 times its own weight. Read more for a video and additional information.
Just like Batman’s cape, which is normally flexible, it can become rigid to stop bullets or act as a glider when the superhero needs to hop off a building. This opens the door to lightweight body armor that can harden to protect a user against an impact, protective athletic gear, and exoskeletons for the mobility impaired.
- Indulge your passion for the Caped Crusader with the LEGO DC BATMAN 1989 Batwing; If you’re an adult Batman fan or a model-building enthusiast, this buildable display model of the Batwing is for you
- The iconic style of the Batwing from the 1989 BATMAN movie is enhanced by a sturdy stand, nameplate and 3 minifigures: BATMAN, THE JOKER and a Boombox goon
- This challenging and rewarding building project provides an engrossing and stress-relieving break from the real world – and will look great when displayed on the wall or on its stand in your home or workplace
- Any superhero or LEGO fan will love this 2,363-piece construction kit; Whether you buy it for yourself, as a birthday gift or a holiday present, the LEGO Batwing model is sure to deliver hours of enjoyment
- Measuring over 4” (11cm) high, 20” (52cm) long and 22” (58cm) wide, the LEGO DC BATMAN 1989 Batwing looks stunning on its stand and when attached to the wall
Moving forward, the team is looking to improve the material and fabric performance of their chain mail and to explore more methods of stiffening it, such as through magnetism, electricity or temperature,” said NTU Singapore.