No longer a concept, the Sony Airpeak S1 professional drone has just been announced. It’s now the world’s smallest drone that can be equipped with a full-size mirrorless interchangeable-lens Alpha camera, opening up a new world of possibilities for creatives. The S1 utilizes a proprietary motor, propeller, control system and sensing technology to enable it to fly at extremely high speeds (55 mph maximum) with extremely stable wind resistance. Read more for two videos and additional information.
Plus, the Airpeak S1 boasts an advanced remote control that capable of supporting the production of high-quality aerial images, while also being able to freely control the aircraft with obstacle detection, automatic flight control via sensing a well as increased safety via cloud management of the aircraft / flight information. In addition to the 17″ propeller and brushless motor, it comes equipped with an ESC (Electric Speed Controller) for optimal control of these components. One caveat: it’ll set you back a cool $9,000 when it hits stores in late Fall 2021 and no camera is included.
- 20.1MP stacked back illuminated 1” Exmor RS CMOS sensor w/ DRAM. Large aperture 24-70mm1 F1.8-2.8 ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* lens
- Fast Hybrid Autofocus and Real Time Eye Autofocus and Real-time Autofocus tracking.
- Side flip-out 3.0” LCD screen that also tilts up and down for easier to compose selfie shots
- Quickly switch between two modes of defocused background bokeh
- Product Showcase Setting transitions focus from face to object
Sony is excited to launch our new drone business with the Airpeak S1. Combining an extremely compact size with some of Sony’s most advanced imaging, sensing, AI and robotics technologies, the S1 will allow content creators, storytellers and commercial professionals to capture that which they’ve never been able to capture before,” said Yang Cheng, Vice President, Imaging Solutions, Sony Electronics Inc.