Photo credit: Elon Musk
NASA and SpaceX are making final preparations for the launch of Crew-1, which is made up of astronauts Shannon Walker, Victor Glover, and Mike Hopkins, and Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) astronaut Soichi Noguchi. Once they’ve arrived at the International Space Station, the team will work in low-Earth orbit by becoming space scientists for the next six months. One investigation will be on food physiology to document the effects of dietary improvements on immune function and the gut microbiome and how those improvements can help crews adapt to spaceflight. Read more for a video and additional information.
Another cool experiment launching aboard Crew Dragon is completely student-designed, called “Genes in Space-7.” Troy High School students Finsam Samson and Yujie Wang proposed a study of neural function aboard the space station as a part of the Genes in Space competition. Their winning experiment aims to better understand how spaceflight affects brain function, and its findings will help scientists keep astronauts healthy as they prepare for long-duration missions in low-Earth orbit and beyond.
- Bring to life the rocket launch that took humans to the moon with the meter-high (approximately 1: 110 scale) model rocket of the NASA Apollo Saturn V
- The Saturn V rocket kit includes 3 removable rocket stages (first, s-ii second, and s-ivb third) below the launch escape system, command and service module; Plus, there are 2 minifigures to accompany the Lunar Lander and splashdown rocket toy
- After building the Saturn V rocket, you can display the spacecraft horizontally with 3 stands; The Lunar Lander docks with the command and service modules while the Lunar Orbiter sends the rocket into space
- Recreate space adventures with this NASA toy and action figures based off of the included booklet about the manned Apollo Moon missions and the fan designers of this build and play set
- This spaceship toy measures over 39-inches (100cm) high and 6-inches (17cm) in diameter; It includes 1,969 pieces and is ideal for boys and girls 14 years or older