Photo credit: ISTANBUL HAVACILIK KULUBU 1995 UYE GRUBU
Even before Narita Airport opened its doors, Takao Shito’s family has been growing vegetables on the same plot of land for over 100 years. This farm was a small part of a village where 30 families lived, all surrounded by open fields. However, today it’s situated right in the middle of Japan’s second largest airport. He refused an offer of over $1.7 million for his land, and continues to live there. Read more for a video and additional information.
As of the time of this story, Shito is still tending to his organic farm and selling fresh produce to around 400 local customers. The airport’s second runway was supposed to pass through his farm, but now circles it instead.
- Top Race 3 Channel Rc Plane for Adults Remote Control Airplane Ready to Fly TR-C285G UPGRADED
- UPGRADED: New Propeller Saver Technology, to save RC plane from damage.
- Easy to Fly rc Plane! Amazing Remote Control Plane with 3 level flying, Easy, Medium, Hard, Gift any Adults or advanced kids with this Amazingly fun rc plane Ready to Fly.
- 2.4Ghz Radio Control distance of over 320 Ft. 8mm Coreless Motor, Flying time of up to 12 min. on a single charge
- Great Gift item for adults and advanced boys!
These are pieces of land farmed by three generations for nearly a century, by my grandfather, my father and myself. I want to continue living here and farm. They offered 180 million yen ($1,687,320). That’s 150 years’ worth of a farmer’s wages. I’m not interested in money, I want to continue farming. I never considered leaving,” said Shito.