It’s true, Mazda actually made a ‘suitcase car’ in 1991. This is essentially a fully-functional car built into a piece of luggage and designed specifically for the company’s ‘Fantasyard’ event, an inter-departmental contest to see which group of employees could come up with the most innovative and creative solution to producing a ‘moving machine’. During the early 1990s, Mazda had already successfully reinvented the roadster with the MX-5 Miata and won Le Mans with the rotary-powered 787B racer, so it was the perfect time to build a car into a suitcase. Read more for a video of it in-action, additional pictures and information.
A team of seven engineers from the Manual Transmission Testing and Research Group first purchased the largest Samsonite suitcase they could find, along with a Pocket Bike motorbike. The 33.6cc, 1.7hp two-stroke engine, handlebars and 4-6 inch-diameter tires were sourced from the bike and fitted into the suitcase. The rear wheels could be slotted onto the outside of the case while the front wheel pops through a removable hatch in the front.
- 🧳 CHARGE YOUR PHONE ON-THE-GO! The Villagio hard sided luggage comes with a dual USB port to use with the powerbank. Now you can easily charge your mobile phone, your tablet or laptop easily. Stop looking for a plug, now you can charge on the go!
- 🧳 STOP THE WEAR AND TEAR. The new reinforced corner bumpers of the Villagio light weight luggage will ensure its durability and minimize the damage caused by hardship. Now you can travel the world and don't worry about your hard side spinner luggage.
- 🧳 PROTECT YOUR BELONGINGS. Sadly, thievery occurs a lot especially while traveling. The Villagio luggage with wheels is tamper-proof so that you can feel safe. The anti-theft zipper installed will nearly eliminate the risk of losing your valuables.
- 🧳 GET YOUR MONEY’S WORTH! Designed with the finest materials the Villagio large rolling suitcase is here to outlast any other hardcover luggage. Made from 100% polycarbonate our large suitcase with wheels is lightweight for easy maneuvering.
- 🧳 ORDER YOUR SPINNER SUITCASE RISK-FREE! Your absolute satisfaction is what matters most to us, that's why we offer a full refund of your money in case you are not completely satisfied with the purchase of the Villagio hard shell suitcase.
The suitcase car took just a minute to assemble and had a top speed of 30km/h. While the original prototype was accidentally destroyed just a few months after the Fantasyard event, one suitcase car still remains in existence. And it works as well as it did 24 years ago,” said Mazda.