Pilot Craig Gifford had planned for a routine flying session for his single-engine plane earlier this week, but he didn’t plan to land on Minnesota’s 35W freeway. Unfortunately, that’s where he ended up, but on the bright side, nobody was injured. Traffic cam footage of the incident shows the small Bellanca Viking plane narrowly missing two vehicles before sideswiping an SUV as the aircraft skidded to a stop. Read more for the CCTV video and additional information.
There still is no definite reason for the cause of this emergency landing, but as you can see in the footage above, one of the plane’s wings hits the rear of an SUV driven by Brittany Yurik. Gifford is trained as a competitive aerobatic pilot, and even represented the U.S. in international competitions.
- Top Race 3 Channel Rc Plane for Adults Remote Control Airplane Ready to Fly TR-C285G UPGRADED
- UPGRADED: New Propeller Saver Technology, to save RC plane from damage.
- Easy to Fly rc Plane! Amazing Remote Control Plane with 3 level flying, Easy, Medium, Hard, Gift any Adults or advanced kids with this Amazingly fun rc plane Ready to Fly.
- 2.4Ghz Radio Control distance of over 320 Ft. 8mm Coreless Motor, Flying time of up to 12 min. on a single charge
- Great Gift item for adults and advanced boys!
Craig has been flying general aviation aircraft his entire life and has over 4500 hours in dozens of different types of aircraft. Pilots are trained to deal with emergency engine problems and things like that if you have to make an emergency landing,” Knapinski told AP, “and so the combination of that training and certainly (Gifford’s) aerobatic training really paid off in this situation,” said the International Aerobatic Club.