Apple CarKey is a new feature in iOS 14 that works exactly as it sounds. It’s a digital car key that give users a secure way to use their iPhone or Apple Watch to unlock as well as start their car. They can even be shared using Messages, or disabled through iCloud if a device is lost. This functionality will go live later this year through NFC, possibly at the time of the iPhone 12 launch, for the 2021 BMW 5 Series. Read more for a video and additional information.
Apple also revealed today the next-generation of digital car keys based on Ultra Wideband technology for spatial awareness delivered through the U1 chip, which enables users to unlock future vehicles without even removing their iPhone from their pocket or bag. This will become available next year.
- This phone is unlocked and compatible with any carrier of choice on GSM and CDMA networks (e.g. AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular, Cricket, Metro, Tracfone, Mint Mobile, etc.).
- Please check with your carrier to verify compatibility.
- When you receive the phone, insert a SIM card from a compatible carrier. Then, turn it on, connect to Wi-Fi, and follow the on screen prompts to activate service.
- The device does not come with headphones or a SIM card. It does include a generic (Mfi certified) charger and charging cable.
- Tested for battery health and guaranteed to have a minimum battery capacity of 80%.
- Retina display
- Optical heart sensor
- Stores music, podcasts, and audiobooks
Apple iOS 14 transforms the most iconic elements of the iPhone experience, starting with the biggest update we’ve ever made to the Home Screen. With beautifully redesigned widgets on the Home Screen, the App Library that automatically organizes all of your apps, and App Clips that are fast and easy to discover, iPhone becomes even more powerful and easier to use,” said Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering.