At just 55-pounds, Boston Dynamics’ Spot robot dog is capable of much more than just being a house pet. That’s right, it’s most suited for unstructured environments and is fully capable of climbing stairs, traversing rough terrain, helping the French Army, as well as dispensing beer, but not in a particularly useful way. Michael Reeves has taught this robot to actually pee bear, which required quite a few lines of code to help it identify cups on the floor, position itself properly over them, and then release a stream of liquid using plastic tubing. Read more for the video and additional information.
Let’s just say that its success rate during the training process is about comparable to a real-life dog, or to be more specific working flawlessly 35-percent of the time. One issue that he tackled was trying to balance all of the equipment, as the large air tank holding the beer needed to be pressurized, thus making the robot less stable than normal. Why did Reeves set out on this project? Well, Boston Dynamics told him that Spot was not available for “personal use,” so now that it’s available commercially, he sought to get revenge.
- With LEGO MINDSTORMS Robot Inventor (51515), kids gain essential STEM skills as they build, code and play with remote-control model robots and intelligent creations that shoot missiles, play ball, drive around and more!
- Kids build Charlie, Tricky, Blast, M.V.P. and Gelo, and take on activities and missions using the Scratch-based LEGO MINDSTORMS Robot Inventor App (visit LEGO.com/devicecheck for a list of compatible devices)
- With almost 1,000 pieces, including an intelligent Hub, 4 Medium Motors, Color Sensor and Distance Sensor with break-out interface, youngsters can also build their own fun robotic toys and share them online on LEGO Life
- An easy-to-install rechargeable battery is included, so no need to go hunting for spare batteries when the fun’s about to start
- Blast stands at over 14” (36cm) tall, while Gelo measures over 9” (24cm) long; The Powered Up components in this set are also compatible with the LEGO BOOST Creative Toolbox (17101), Droid Commander (75253) and others