Yemen’s Well of Barhout, also know as the Well of Hell, is rumored by locals to contain genies and evil spirits, but a group of cave explorers got to the bottom of it, literally, to prove otherwise. This 100-foot wide hole in the desert floor of Yemen’s eastern province of Al-Mahra plunges 367-feet beneath the surface and the Oman Cave Exploration Team (OCET) discovered snakes, dead animals as well as cave pearls. Read more for a video and additional information.
The team may have not found anything supernatural, but they did collect samples of water, rocks, soil and some dead animals. Cave pearls are only exotic sounding, as they are actually small, almost spherical concretions of calcite that is formed in a pool of water in a cave that is not attached to the surface on which it forms.
- Revolutionary Processor: Faster. Smoother. Better. The powerful new GP2 engine changes the game—snappy performance, responsive touch controls and double the frame rate for amazingly smooth footage. Designed specifically for the demanding nature of the GoPro, the GP2 “system on a chip” is by far our fastest ever.
- High-Res Photos plus Videos, High Frame Rate: Step up to the sharpest-shooting GoPro ever. Upgraded to incredible 23MP photos and 5.3K video resolution at 60fps, HERO10 offers double the frame rate for amazingly smooth motion. Plus, there’s 8x slo-mo at 2.7K and you can pause videos and grab 15.8MP still photos from 5.3K video that look amazing.
- Unbelievable Image Quality: Shoot with fine detail, realistic textures and stunning contrast, even in low light. Images look their best thanks to a new water-shedding hydrophobic lens cover that repels water while helping to eliminate lens flare and other artifacts.
- HyperSmooth 4.0: HyperSmooth has never been smoother, and it’s easy to dial in the best stabilization at all times. Plus, get even better low-light performance and horizon leveling with a higher tilt limit, so your footage looks perfectly straight when you want it.
- Fast, Reliable Connectivity: Super easy, super fast. Transferring photos and videos from your cloud-connected GoPro to your phone is simple and versatile, with your choice of effortless wireless upload via the Quik app or a lightning-fast wired connection via USB. There’s also unlimited cloud storage with hassle-free auto upload. Just plug in your camera when connected to your home Wi-Fi and the camera does the rest.
There were snakes, but they won’t bother you unless you bother them. Passion drove us to do this, and we felt that this is something that will reveal a new wonder and part of Yemeni history,” said Mohammed al-Kindi, a geology professor at the German University of Technology in Oman.