Japan-based Donut Robotics unveils the C-Face Smart Mask, an internet-connected face covering that can transmit messages and translate from Japanese into eight other languages, all in real-time. This plastic device fits snugly over standard face masks and connects to a smartphone / tablet application over Bluetooth, enabling it to transcribe speech into text messages, make calls, or amplify the mask wearer’s voice. Read more for a video and additional information.
At $40, the company built their first prototype connected mask within a month by adapting translation software developed for its robot and a mask design that one of the company’s engineers created four years ago for a student project to interpret speech by mapping face muscles. The first shipment of 5,000 masks will arrive in Japan starting September, with later batches set for China, the United States and Europe.
- 40 languages and 93 accents: Simultaneous 2-way translation in multiple foreign languages. WT2 Plus translator covers 85% of the world's population. Partial List: Arabic, Bulgarian, Cantonese, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Filipino , Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, and so on
- All-around smart with App: Simul mode: Hands-free and deep communication, one person can talk continuously in a quiet environment and the other person can hear translation continuously. | Touch mode: This mode is effective for noisy environments. Simply touch earbuds to speak, touch again to translate | Speaker mode: 1 earbud + 1 APP. In this mode, only one person needs to wear an earphone. Three modes fit for different scenarios, including traveling, language learning, business communication
- High accuracy and online 1-3 seconds translation: WT2 Plus translator earbuds can achieve ultra-high translation accuracy for daily usage in Chinese, English, Japanese, Spanish, Germany, French and so on within good networking (wifi and 4G) and ideal conversation environment. Timekettle acquires strong external technical support from Google, Microsoft, iFlytek. It takes 1-3 seconds to complete voice recognition and translation, improving your efficiency of learning language
- Support iOS and Android with wireless bluetooth connection: Support iOS11 and above, Android 7 and above, Bluetooth 4.2 and above, the translator earbuds are compatible with mobile phones of most major brands. Easy to connect with iOS and Android operating system in seconds via turning on bluetooth in APP, no wifi needed. True wireless bluetooth connection allows fast, stable audio transmission for up to 20 feet. Its stable connection helps it become a good choice of language learning device
- Offline transltion and attention to quality: Download the offline voice package in advance, WT2 translator earbuds support offline translation from Chinese to English, Japanese, French, Spanish, Korean and Russian, from English to Japanese, French, Spanish, Korean,Chinese and Russian in case of no network around. Please download the offline packages in advance. Notice that this translation-orientated translator doesn’t support to listen to music or make a phone call
We worked hard for years to develop a robot and we have used that technology to create a product that responds to how the coronavirus has reshaped society,” said Taisuke Ono, the chief executive of Donut Robotics.