Inventor Shane Wighton of “Stuff Made Here” of self-haircut barber robot created an interesting bot last Halloween, and it’s just as relevant in 2021. What is it? A five-axis robot capable of carving photos into pumpkins, but this creation is a lot more complex than it sounds. While it may use the same electronics as the barber robot, this one was mostly built from scratch, starting with the swiveling spindle with two sets of aluminum extrusions for vertical and horizontal movement. Read more for the build video and to see it in-action.
The most challenging part of this build was the software, as it had to be programmed to accommodate the five-axis motion while mapping 2D images onto a spherical surface. The latter issue was solved with Mercator projection to solve the problem, as in a custom script that probes the surface of the pumpkin with a microswitch before cutting. After all was said and done, the machine is capable of carving profiles as well as variable depth lithophanes.
- Who doesn't love robots? Introduce kids to the creative world of coding with the best educational STEM toys to foster their curiosities. Building, learning, and programming robots has never been more fun!
- Includes 847 LEGO pieces that kids can build and rebuild into 5 cool multifunctional models. The best and most popular robotics toys for 7-12 year old boys and girls who love to tinker and learn about science. Use the latest tech like color, distance and tilt sensors.
- Construct and code Vernie the Robot to dance, rock out on the Guitar4000, foster Frankie the Cat, interact with the Autobuilder, or explore a new discovery with the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4). The IQ-boosting activities are endless!
- Vernie the Robot stands over 10" (27cm) tall, Guitar4000 over 1” (5cm) high, 16” (42cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide, Frankie the Cat over 6” (17cm) tall, AutoBuilder over 10” (27cm) high, M.T.R.4 over 4” (12cm) high, 9” (23cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.
- A tablet or mobile phone is required, but not included. Compatible with selected iOS, Android, Kindle and Windows 10 devices with BLE 4.1 and newer. Compatible with select mobile devices.