Researchers at the MIT Center for Advanced Virtuality uses deepfake technology to show President Richard Nixon addressing the nation to explain that the Apollo 11 mission had ended in tragedy, or at least in an alternate timeline. In reality, the Apollo 11 mission was a big success, with both Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, returning back to Earth safely. Read more for the video and additional information.
What some may not know is that this speech, “In The Event of Moon Disaster,” was an actual contingency plan for if the astronauts did not return home safely, penned by Nixon’s speechwriter William Safire. MIT media artists Francesca Panetta and Halsey Bergund collaborated with AI companies Canny AI and Respeecher to create this Richard Nixon deepfake.
- Bring to life the rocket launch that took humans to the moon with the meter-high (approximately 1: 110 scale) model rocket of the NASA Apollo Saturn V. This space toy with astronaut figures lets you role play the many missions the Saturn V completed.
- The Saturn V rocket kit includes 3 removable rocket stages (first, s-ii second, and s-ivb third) below the launch escape system, command and service module. Plus, there are 2 minifigures to accompany the Lunar Lander and splashdown rocket toy.
- After building the Saturn V rocket, you can display the spacecraft horizontally with 3 stands. The Lunar Lander docks with the command and service modules while the Lunar Orbiter sends the rocket into space.
- Recreate space adventures with this NASA toy and action figures based off of the included booklet about the manned Apollo Moon missions and the fan designers of this build and play set
- This spaceship toy measures over 39 inches (100cm) high and 6 inches (17cm) in diameter. It includes 1,900 pices and is ideal for boys and girls 14 years or older.