Photo credit: Pi-Lens
McGill University scientists have developed a seashell-inspired glass that is not only stronger, but 5-times tougher than the standard material. That’s right, instead of shattering upon impact, this material, modeled after the inner layer of mollusk shells, has the resiliency of plastic and could be used to improve smartphone screens in the future. It’s essentially a composite of glass and acrylic materials that mimics nacre or mother of pearl. Read more for additional pictures, information and a bonus video.
The architecture of nacre was then replicated with layers of glass flakes and acrylic, resulting in an incredible durable yet opaque material that can be produced easily as well as inexpensively. To make the composite optically transparent, they tuned the refractive index of the acrylic, which made it seamlessly blend with the glass. The team plans on improving upon this material by incorporating smart technology, possibly allowing the glass to change its properties, like, mechanics, and conductivity.
- [6 In 1 Charging Station For Multiple Devices] - seenda ICH-66 charging station with wireless charger stand built-in QC standard AC adapter 9V/2.7A (you don't need to make an additional purchase), 5 Smart USB-A port and charger holder for AirPods & Apple, which allows you to charge multi-devices at the same time, Compatible with all USB devices smartphones, iPad, tablets, speakers, headsets, cameras, PSP and more.
- [Fast 10W Wireless Charger & Universal Compatibility] - The wireless charging stand adaptive charging modes give your device the power it needs, Supports max 10W fast charging and compatible with all wireless charger devices, the charging distance can reach 3-8mm with better sensing function and dual coils design greatly improves the speed of induction and charging. wireless stand is Adjustable support angle design to as charging stand & charging pad.
- [2.4A Fast Charging Ports] - Built-in intelligent chip, this charging stand smartly recognizes and provides the optimal charging current your device needs. Configured with 5 fast charging ports, each USB Port can deliver up to 5V/2.4 A Max current at full speed, great improves the efficiency compared with other charging stations offering 2.0 amps or less.
- [Superior Intelligent Protection] - In addition to regular safety measures of smart usb chargers, seenda ICH-66 charger station also implements a smart chip to regulate current & voltage in the safe range, with over-current protection, over-voltage protection and over-temperature protection as well as foreign object detection function, it can prevent over-charging damage of equipment battery.
- [Tidy Organized & Anti-slip] - The charging station organizer can charge multi-device in one place at the same time without bunch of chargers plugged into your power outlet and no more cluttered cables. with 4 detachable strong baffle, made of sturdily strengthened ABS material for protecting your devices from falling. and the charging base with anti-slip silicone design so that the charger will not move or flip, to ensure that your phone is protected when charging.
Amazingly, nacre has the rigidity of a stiff material and durability of a soft material, giving it the best of both worlds. It’s made of stiff pieces of chalk-like matter that are layered with soft proteins that are highly elastic. This structure produces exceptional strength, making it 3000 times tougher than the materials that compose it,” said Allen Ehrlicher, an Associate Professor in the Department of Bioengineering at McGill University.