Mercedes-Benz has integrated the first brain-computer interface (BCI) in its Vision AVTR concept car, and it made its debut at the IAA MOBILIY 2021 show in Munich. That’s right, it forms a biometric interaction with the vehicle using a direct connection to the human brain. Users wear the BCI device implanted with electrodes on the back of their head to records brain activity and establish a direct connection to the vehicle after a one-minute calibration. Read more for a video, additional pictures and information.
Once the connection is established with the AVTR, the brain reacts to the visual stimuli on the dashboard. The device then measures the neuronal activity at the cortex in real time and analyzes the brain waves, recognizing on which light points the user directs his focus and full attention (attention-sensing interface). The stronger the user focuses, the higher the neuronal activity, thus triggering the targeted function in the vehicle.
- Keep your experience smooth and seamless, even as high speed action unfolds around you with a super-fast processor and high-resolution display. (Packaging may vary) Meta Quest packaging will continue to carry the Oculus name and logo during the transition to our new branding.
- Experience total immersion with 3D positional audio, hand tracking and haptic feedback, working together to make virtual worlds feel real.
- Explore an expanding universe of over 250 titles across gaming, fitness, social/multiplayer and entertainment, including exclusive blockbuster releases and totally unique VR experiences.
- Travel universes in blockbuster fantasies, scare yourself witless in horror adventures or collaborate with colleagues in innovative workspaces.
- Come together in incredible social spaces and multiplayer arenas as you take in live events with friends and family, find your new workout crew or join quests with fellow adventurers.
With the continuous further development of our ‘Hey Mercedes’ voice assistant and the zero-layer concept of the MBUX Hyperscreen, we’ve already simplified vehicle operation radically. BCI technology can make it possible to relieve the user even more, in order to be able to focus on the driving experience. The VISION AVTR underlines the courage and pioneering spirit of our brand and is exactly the right concept to test and further develop BCI applications. This concept vehicle impressively depicts the future of mobility in which man, nature and technology are in harmony with each other,” said Markus Schäfer, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Mercedes-Benz AG.