Why bother with a remote control, when you can just use your muscles? MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) developed a system, called “Conduct-A-Bot,” that uses human muscle signals from wearable sensors to pilot a robot’s movement. It consists of electromyography and motion sensors worn on the biceps, triceps, as well as forearms to measure muscle signals / movement. Read more for a video and additional information.
Algorithms are then used to proces the signals to detect gestures in real time, without requiring any offline calibration or per-user training data. The system needs only two or three wearable sensors, and no hardware in the environment, thus reducing the barrier to casual users interacting with robots. You can use gestures, such as clenched fists, tensed arms, and activated forearms, to move the drone left, right, up, down, and forward, as well as allow it to rotate and stop.
- The compact yet powerful Mavic Mini camera drone is the perfect creative companion, capturing your moments in a way that effortlessly elevates the ordinary
- Weighing less than 0.55lbs by 250 grams, Mavic Mini is almost as light as the average smartphone. In the United States and Canada, you can fly this camera drone without the need to register your drone with the government
- Mavic Mini supports 12MP aerial photos and 2.7K HD videos. A 3-axis motorized gimbal provides superior camera stability and ensures clear, Ultra-smooth footage
- Mavic Mini’s weight allows it to stay in the air longer than similar consumer FlyCams on the market. Enjoy up to 30 minutes of flight time with a fully-charged battery
- DJI Fly App requires iOS v10.0, Android v6.0 or above. Compatible devices include: iPhone 11 Pro Max, 11 Pro, 11, XS Max, XS, XR, X, 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6, Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus, S10, S9 Plus, S9 , S8 Plus, S8, S7 edge, S7, S6, Note9, Note8, Huawei P30 Pro, P30, P20, P10, Mate 20 Pro, Mate 10, nova 5, nova 4, nova 3e, nova 2, Honor 8X, 10, 9, 20 Pro, Magic 2, Mi 8, MIX 2S, MIX 2, Redmi Note 5, Oppo Find X, R15, Vivo NEX, X27, X21, X20A, OnePlus 7, 6T, 5, Pixel 3 XL, 2 XL, 2, LG V20, LG G6
We envision a world in which machines help people with cognitive and physical work, and to do so, they adapt to people rather than the other way around,” said Professor Daniela Rus, director of CSAIL, deputy dean of research for the MIT Stephen A. Schwarzman College of Computing, and co-author on a paper about the system.