Photo credit: NHK
“Monster Wolf” might look like a Halloween decoration or animatronic you see at a theme park, but it’s actually a clever robot employed by a Japanese town to scare off bears. More specifically, the town of Takikawa, on the northern island of Hokkaido, installed two of these robots after bears were found roaming neighborhoods back in September. How does it work? Well, when it detects motion, the robot starts moving its head, flashes lights and emits multiple sounds ranging, including howling as well as machinery noises. Read more for a video and additional information.
Officials from Takikawa city observed that bears have become more active and dangerous recently as they search for food before going into hibernation in late November for the winter. This year has experienced a decrease of acorns and nuts in the wild, thus causing the animals to roam closer to towns in search of food.
- Who doesn't love robots? Introduce kids to the creative world of coding with the best educational STEM toys to foster their curiosities. Building, learning, and programming robots has never been more fun!
- Includes 847 LEGO pieces that kids can build and rebuild into 5 cool multifunctional models. The best and most popular robotics toys for 7-12 year old boys and girls who love to tinker and learn about science. Use the latest tech like color, distance and tilt sensors.
- Construct and code Vernie the Robot to dance, rock out on the Guitar4000, foster Frankie the Cat, interact with the Autobuilder, or explore a new discovery with the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4). The IQ-boosting activities are endless!
- Award-winning toy and the perfect gift for kids and teenagers. Instructions for all 5 models are included with the free LEGO BOOST app. Download in the Amazon Appstore: amazon.com/dp/B075LL7KGB. Requires 6x AAA 1.5V batteries (not included).
- Vernie the Robot stands over 10" (27cm) tall, Guitar4000 over 1” (5cm) high, 16” (42cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide, Frankie the Cat over 6” (17cm) tall, AutoBuilder over 10” (27cm) high, M.T.R.4 over 4” (12cm) high, 9” (23cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.