Shane Wighton built a robotic basketball hoop back in May that had some glaring issues, with the main one being that it was easy to miss by intentionally missing the backboard. So, he spent weeks building a second version developing yet another basketball hoop that makes your shot go in even if you totally miss the hoop. To make this possible, ehe had to transform an entire wall of his basement into a large CNC machine. Read more for a video and additional information.
Since the wall is basically a CNC machine, the backboard and hoop were then attached to a carriage that rides on a pair of vertical carbon fiber rods, which in turn ride on horizontal rails constructed from aluminum extrusion. Since the board is now on a pivot, it’s capable of tilting up and down, thus making it possible to position this piece anywhere on the wall, all the while tilting its angle as necessary. He then mounted a Microsoft Kinect sensor onto the ceiling to track the ball to ensure the backboard knows where to go to catch it.
- 6 PIECE SET includes the ESPN EZ-Fold Basketball Game Table, 7” basketballs(4) and 1 air pump
- FOLDABLE DESIGN FOR EASY STORAGE: Saves nearly 30% more space than similar basketball games; built in locking system for storage mode to enhance safety; 3" lockable casters for easy transportation
- ROBUST CONSTRUCTION: MDF backboard features two 12" steel rims with heavy duty nylon nets
- LED ELECTRONIC SCORER WITH MULTIPLE GAME OPTIONS: Integrated LED scoring display and game clock; includes 8 great game options; requires 4 "AA" batteries (not included)
- ASSEMBLED DIMENSIONS: 81"L x 48"W x 80.5"H. Folds down to just 48"L x 20"W x 80.5"H for easy storage or moving.