Photo credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/J.D. Gammell
Unlike other rovers, NASA’s DuAxel consists of two-wheeled rovers, each called Axel. How does it work? The rover stops, lowers its chassis and anchors it to the ground before separating into two halves. When the rear half locks firmly in place, the forward half undocks and rolls away on a single axle. A tether connects the two, but unspools as the lead axle approaches the hazard and rappels down the slope, using instruments stowed in its wheel hub to study inaccessible terrain on Mars and beyond. Read more for a video, additional pictures and information.
The idea of two single-axle rovers that can combine into one with a central payload came about when maximizing versatility was the ultimate goal. This innovative four-wheeled configuration lends itself to driving great distances across rugged landscapes, since the two-wheeled version offers more agility than larger rovers. It can climb crater walls, vents and other extreme terrain.
- Build a large multi-stage rocket and opening launch control tower with interactive play experience, plus a monorail system to transport astronauts from the tower to the training grounds and rocket!
- Includes 6 LEGO City minifigures: 2 astronauts, 2 scientists, Launch Director, ground crew technician and a robot figure, plus a space telescope, rover with articulated arm and a launchpad
- Rocket standing measures over 16” (42cm) high, 4” (11cm) wide and 2” (6cm) deep Launch Control closed measures over 7” (18cm) high, 5” (13cm) wide and 5” (13cm) deep Launchpad with closed tower arms measures over 9” (24cm) high, 4” (12cm) wide and 4” (12cm) deep Monorail track measures over 3” (8cm) high,14” (36cm) long and 18” (47cm) wide
- 837 pieces – Inspired by NASA astronaut toy for boys and girls aged 7+ and for fans and kids of all ages
- This LEGO City Deep Space Rocket and Launch Control 60228 NASA-inspired gift set makes a great gift for kids and can be built together with all other original LEGO sets and LEGO bricks for more creative play
- USAGE: (NOT include the Lego Set) The Light Set is used to light up City Deep Space Rocket and Launch Control.
- PORDUCT FEATURE: The Light is made use of original material purely handmade. It contains 1 USB Light kit ,Instruction guide, battery box. Plug in power, and light up your building blocks with our amazing design!
- TIPS: Prepare three AA Batteries, or USB Charger and Voltage should be less than 5V to avoid burning.
- INSTALLATION INSTRUCTION: The light set installation is done to your preference. Please install your led light carefully, no hard pulling and no need to bend or shake it.
- ABOUT US: Specialized in custom-designed Lighting Kit toys, we aim to supply customer with good products and quality services. Make your creations unique with your rich imagination and creativity. Let 's light up your bricks and bring them new vitality. If you have any problems, please do not hesitate to contact us. Have a happy shopping experience!
DuAxel performed extremely well in the field, successfully demonstrating its ability to approach a challenging terrain, anchor, and then undock its tethered Axel rover. Axel then autonomously maneuvered down steep and rocky slopes, deploying its instruments without the necessity of a robotic arm,” said Issa Nesnas, a robotics technologist at JPL.